Herbert Teague was an art teacher, inventor and pioneer tethered hydroplane racer. He spent much of his time living in Florence on the Pont d'Vecchio teaching art, as well painting. He established his own atelier specialising in watercolour and portraiture and his works include a landscape commissioned by Queen Victoria, which is believed to be in the Royal Collection.
The painting is an original cityscape dated 1915 and painted by Herbert Teague. Is showing Santa Maria della Salute. It is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica located at Punta della Dogana in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the city of Venice, Italy. It stands between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal, at the Bacino di San Marco, making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco from the water. The church was designed in the then fashionable baroque style by Baldassare Longhena, who studied under the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi. Construction began in 1631. The dome of the Salute was an important addition to the Venice skyline and soon became emblematic of the city, inspiring artists like Canaletto, J. M. W. Turner, John Singer Sargent and the Venetian artist Francesco Guardi.Signed lower left "Herbert Teague 1915" in red paint. The image dimension is 32 x 48cm and has a passe-partout, glazed and framed.
This watercolour was a Gift Aid donation to FARA New Kings Road.